Skip to main content
                             Sip tHis Coffee With Onozasie

This is the moment where we turn the lights on magnificient individuals. People doing great things in the society, entrepreneurs, social activists, initiatives masterminds. We bring them here to share their story, to push you to doing something and to make you know that it is never too late to get started. You are welcome aboard!

Guess who is sipping our coffee today? It's Miss Modupeoluwa Babawale. She is the founder of Nirvana Initiative. You want to know more, let's ride along!
Miss Modupe Babawale. Founder, Nirvana Initiative.

Onozasie : Tell us something about you 

Modupeoluwa :  My name is Modupe Babawale, second child out of 4 children. My dad is a medical doctor and my mum is a high school teacher, biology major. I studied Bsc Biochemistry At Bowen University, Iwo Osun state and Msc Biotechnology (specializing in molecular hematology) at Coventry University, UK. I started Nirvana Initiative in 2014 and I’m currently working on being a Lecturer and I’m also interested in Research.

Onozasie : What is Nirvana and Why did you decide to establish Nirvana Initiative?

Modupeoluwa :  My organization Nirvana has always been there before I put a name to it
actually. I have always wanted to establish a non for profit organization, right from when I was an undergraduate, although I didn’t know what it was going to address. All I knew was I wanted to reach out to humanity and just make impact basically.

So the idea of Nirvana has always been in my heart. When I finally decided to establish it for real was an awakening let me say. I have sickle cell, and I have come across a lot of people who live with sickle cell as well. Some who have come to live with it and face the challenge and many who don’t even understand what it is and what to do about it.

 The latter population caught my attention and I wonder how this people survive , especially with the way sickle cell is., and that’s essentially why I chose to establish Nirvana, to focus on helping people like me who live with sickle cell, particular the vulnerable and less educated ones.  Nirvana means ‘ultimate good life’ and that’s essentially what I want people living with sickle cell to experience.


Onozasie : How smooth has the journey been so far?

Modupeoluwa : Well, it has its challenges, A lot actually. That’s normal, especially with a
start up organization. However, I am grateful to my team, they make it easier. We have our differences, but I guess that’s what makes us move forward.

Onozasie : How would you describe a good team and teamwork?

Modupeoluwa : I think a good team or good teamwork, is understanding the peculiarities,
uniqueness , strengths and weaknesses in individuals and knowing how to work together regardless.

Onozasie : Knowing how well Nigerians are with stereotypes, how do you handle such?

Modupeoluwa : I think this is essentially a mind thing. Sadly, we live in a world where this
is rampant, so you can’t easily get away with it especially, if you have an illness or you look different from what people call normal., and to me normal is relative.

So, overcoming stigma or stereotype is first of all turn a deaf ear to what people say or think about me because I live with sickle
cell.

Secondly and most importantly, is to be truly happy and grateful about my life, who I am and the unique nature God has given me. So basically valuing myself. It took a whole lot of time and effort but trust me, it's worth it. So you see, I smile a lot, I laugh out loud and care less about who is around me or whatever health challenge I have, because truly, that doesn’t define who I am.

Onozasie : What are the those things people neglect when relating to a warrior?

Modupeoluwa : I think , from my experience, is language. When I say language, I mean
mode of communication. So, it could be body language, or the tone of words used during communication. Warriors are really sensitive; I think it comes with the ‘territory’, so we notice, almost immediately the things people do and say when around us.

So most people, when they meet me and they know or find out that I am a warrior, they look deep into my eyes to see if it's yellow, or they become extremely careful in how they talk/relate to me, etc.

 Although sometimes, it could be they are just really looking out for us, but we translate that to pity/sympathy and that’s not what we need at all. That get to us and then that most times equate to some form of inferiority complex and low self esteem in us.


Onozasie : What inspires you and why?

Modupeoluwa : I'm inspired by people who take responsibility about their lives. People who
chose to be happy no matter what and that’s because we all fight battles, some visible and invisible and when I see that, especially in warriors and other fighting whatever it is, I am inspired.

Onozasie : What's your favourite food?

Modupeoluwa : I am a foodie. I love food actually. Hence, no best food. Lol but don’t give
me beans.

Onozasie : Have you ever thought about quitting and how did you overcome?

Modupeoluwa :  Yes!!! A lot of times. I have cried and sometimes questioned what I am
doing. And I think the best thing I do when i'm feeling that way is to talk to my team and they help me by reiterating what we have done, what we plan to do and that helps me reevaluate why I started and my strength is renewed. Most importantly, when I feel overwhelmed, I pray.

Onozasie : A lot of warriors are psychologically depressed, How did you deal with
depression and how would you advise people to deal with it.

Modupeoluwa : That’s true and that’s because of the lack of a good support system,
someone that truly loves, understands and cares for them. hence they keep to themselves and then depression sets in. I don’t think I was ever depressed, well, not for long though because my parents/family are always there. So I encourage every warrior to consciously hang around people who truly understand and cares for them, that way they stay happy.
Onozasie : Share your challenges and breakthroughs with us 

Modupeoluwa : This is tough. I really can’t start talking about it. However I'll say I’m always
at my lowest when I have my pain episodes and sometimes, some episodes seems like it’s my last, but God always comes through.

Onozasie : What's your advice to warriors and anyone with the burden to run a great initiative like this. { The Spot Word}

Modupeoluwa : Pray, Trust God, believe in yourself and stay happy.

Onozasie : Let's connect with you

Modupeoluwa : Social media handles.
Instagram - @ajike_91,
 twitter - @mobabawale ,
 Facebook – Babawale Modupeola

Onozasie:
Hey You, You can be better if you will start now. Face it! 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

                                                     Self pity isn't the answer. 2017 Struggles { That Adejoke's Story} The struggles were too much for her to bear alone, she wanted her story to change but as much as she tried, nothing was happening. She could move no further. She decided to try her hands on some buying and selling but that wasn't enough though it gave her money to fund a lot of things. Money came through but she wasn't happy. 'Would you try this one or try that?' she laid her hands on every possible thing she could find. 'I don't want to be seen as an unserious person, I know where my mates are at least if she doesn't remind herself, some people will remind her or social media will remind her' Dara is in America on scholarship, Nkechi works with a Multinational company, Fumi is a technocrat and she is earning lots of money'. Adejoke what is happening?   That was what her Bestie asked her when she came over. At least,
   Monday Blues....         Letter to the Man in charge Excuse me sir,  I hope your day is going on well even though mine isn't and the reason? I will certainly share with you. Let me ask you some questions, I don't need to be all care and friendly because this is a serious matter at hand. Do you drive? Does your car run on water or on Fuel? Please I need sincere answers sir!. It's pathetic that I have to stay on an unending queue to get fuel to run my car knowing that we have no special reserves to take us out on monday. Maybe car makers should start making three to four fuel tanks for some cars coming to some countries e.g Nigeria. I am so fed up of the way things are done in this country. They told us that we have Oil and we still suffer for what we have, are you sure those that discovered these things discovered well? I am sick and tired of speculations if we sincerely have, how come we suffer so much to own what we have? Who else is in the same shoes as I am